Get Inspired, Be Empowered Forums Sexism & Patriarchy Should there be separate schools for boys and girls?

Tagged
16 replies, 16 voices Last updated by Aditi Sahu 2 years, 1 month ago
  • Woospire
    Keymaster
    @admin
    nehachitroda
    Participant
    @nehachitroda
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful
    ::

Schools are the foundation for any child and the future of the child and what they learn from schools is not only education in terms of studies but also the basic knowledge till building their personality. Many rural and some urban areas still have separate schools for boys and girls, but why? Actually, these types of education were more preferred in the past when people used to think girls should not get involved with studies with unknown boys.
    If there are separate schools then both the genders would feel that discrimination is done between them, and it’s mostly done with girls because parents want their girl child to study a girl’s school. It was common practice in the past that there were separate schools but it promoted gender stereotypes and one gender more capable than the other, but nowadays this is very rare and many don’t opt for separate schools.
    There should not be separate schools for boys and girls because if they can study together and equally then we should not discriminate between them. If all study together they can help each other in many things like any subject theory or practically, if they study separate, they may not know how to communicate with others because they are within one area and within the same gender, but if all are within a classroom there are many students who are different from each other in many terms and so communication with all makes them more aware about a person and their behavior, their knowledge. Learning together can bring productivity and it would bring equality in all genders.

PALAK KASHIV
    Participant
    @palak
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

Having separate school I think is not a good idea because somewhere it creates the discrimination and limits the boys and girls .separate school for girls and boys disadvantages of separate schools is girls don’t open up with talking to boys and same as for boys, they will not able to learn from each other, in many countries, there are not separate schools. people who go to separate schools believe that their gender is superior. Having a separate school promotes sexism, if the boys and girls are being taught separately, they will develop their mindset that their gender has more value. also, boys and girls do not get to understand each other behavior and they do not respect and bond nicely with each other. co-ed schools support equality and it acts as a bridge between boys and girls .it is often observed that women are ones who hesitate to talk to men so, it becomes difficult when they have been interactive in society. Globally students have to compete with both genders it would be a lot easier for them if they study in co-ed school from the starting. Through co-ed schools’ boys will learn that girls are also equally deserve everything and they are also capable of doing all things. Government should take legal action to make students learn under the same roof. Even in a mixed school, everyone deserves equal opportunities this ideology will be very clear in people minds. Learning in separate schools can also impact personal relationships, if children at a young age get chance to learn in mix school, they will get chance to build nice friendship and love relationships.it also lacks perspectives of each other in any discussion. In mixed school boys and girls develop mutual respect for each other. So, In my opinion, co-ed schools are beneficial for both boys and girls.

VIPASHA .
    Participant
    @vipasha
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

School is treated as a Temple for the student. School are the place from where the student learn good habits, good manners ,way of behaving. It is the place where they can learn each and everything and continue it is till the last breath .
    If we suppose to have separate school for boys and girls , it will definitely have a bad effect on their mind. This will lead to greater sense of discrimination, inequality and injustice in the mind of boy and a girl and definitely a boy can never learn the manner to behave with a girl and never can respect her until and unless they sit with them and they spend time with them. and if this not happens in the men always feel superior than women , which Will definitely lead to the crime in future and create difficulty for the Girls.
    School is a place from where the children run every gender is equal every person is equal be it a, girl – boy, rich- poor, lower- class- middle class- Upper class . Throughout the school life only a student can learn the skill of adjusting with girls spending time with them live with them and understand their feelings and emotion . It also helps girl’s , in different ways as many of the girls hesitate in talking to boys or having male friend . By studying with them once or twice as there was in time ,when they are required talk with them, sit with them . By having the same school , in same classroom , learning by same teacher – them to overcome the hesitation, and increase their confidence level and Helps to overcome their fear.
    Due to family background most of the boys or girl have the thinking that, a boy should always work in office and girl should cook and home. But by going to school and seeing a lady and male teacher both are teaching in equal way both are equal in school can definitely help in changing their mind set. Learning together create a good sense and affection in the mind of children the feeling of respect joy and equality.

DISHA SAPKALE
    Participant
    @42disha
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

No, schools for boys and girls should not be separate they should study together it will help them to understand different personalities and both will learn gender equality. During old times education was available only for boys and afterwards education for girls became available but at that time it was separate schools for girls and boys because of which many people does gender inequality due to not understanding equality between boys and girls. And in mixed schools they treat every student equally because of which they understand gender equality like everyone should have equal opportunity. Co- education schools will create that competition in classroom between boys and girls to motivate towards their studies. They can develop their skills by having team work in classroom through different projects it will also help them in future because in today’s generation all the jobs require team work due to which co- education schools gives good opportunities to children to build their skills. They will also had communication with different personalities during projects or activities everyone will have different perspectives through which students will get knowledge in every way. In separate schools of girls and boys will not have different gender personalities and team work their will communication gap between boys and girls and because of which it will lead to gender inequality. In schools by knowing each other talent and personality it will create positive point towards gender equality and from school itself both will understand the meaning of having equal opportunity. And if there will be separate schools it will become very difficult for both boys and girls in future because in Office they has to do team work and for that they need to interact with each other. When both boys and girls will study together they will maintain respect for each other.

Tanima
    Participant
    @ta
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

Schooling is that stage of our lives when we not only gain knowledge from books or extremely curriculum activities and skill,we also build up our characters, our way of life and the way of seeing towards the society and the world ahead. And restrict gender discrimination in school or education areas directly affect ongoing patriarchy and stereotypes of our society. Distinction between boys school and girls schools will be the biggest mistake towards our future if we truly support a world without gender discrimination. Many area still contains this system while current education Institutions should strongly recommend the co-education system.
    According to me, distancing boys and girls school is one of the biggest steps taken to uphold patriarchy . As we can easily build stereotypes among those children or teenager who are not used to share thoughts.
    According to research, at 2-3 years old, children learn the basic difference between boys and girls and they’ll recognize themselves as a gender at the age of 4 .
    In an co-ed school, we allow this thought sharing process between boys and girls. We have to normalize for both of them that no gender is bad at all. There’s no need for a female to be afraid among male and similarly for boys, there’s no girly or pinky stereotypes are going on into women.
    We should share each kind of problems whether it’s specified for boys and girls ; physical or mental. Only thus they can accept them as a normal human being, not a gender.
    There should be no boys discussion or girly talks. And again, with all of these, women should be inspired to participate in science , economics or political debate as we seriously lack female among the most important pillars of our society.
    Boys should get awareness too about women exploitation in daily basis.
    Whether it’s a documentary, play or games, they should be gender neutral. And gender neutral doesn’t mean to forget LGBTQ community.
    Only then our all over society will get awareness. There’ll be no need of faking boys smile, nor exaggerating women exploitation and urge for help in daily basis. We can’t improve a whole society, just by spreading awareness on half of it.
    And the schooling will be that primary pillar to condemn the patriarchy and it’s enormous negative impact on our society. Male and female come to lead a life in equal measure, then why to discriminate them in the core part of their life?

anshika agarwal
    Participant
    @anshika-2
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

No, there should not be separate schools for boys and girls. In today’s era studying in co-ed schools is very common. In a co-education school boys and girls study together and that helps them in understanding each other’s gender on a broader scale.
    Co-education is quite important and advantageous for today’s generation. It helps in eliminating the conservative minds of girls and boys and makes them more perceptive, understandable and confident which helps boys and girls to create healthy relationships. When both will study together in a co-ed schools they will understand and respect each other from childhood. In our society where we need gender equality, in coed schools boys will learn to treat girls the same way they treat other boys which will help in increasing gender equality. Learning gender equality from childhood will surely help them in future which also results in development of country. Being in a co-ed school will give girls and boys the same education level and there will be no discrimination. If both boys and girls study in separate schools then when at teenage of their lives they will connect to opposite gender they will definitely feel embarrassed or not able to hangout together. They will never learn how to talk to opposite gender fluently due to which they will lack behind in their jobs when they will not able to work with opposite gender.
    Therefore there should not be separate schools for boys and girls so they can become more helpful to each other. They can understand opposite gender’s issue as well.

Shumaila Siddiqui
    Participant
    @shumaila
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

No I don’t support the concept of separate schools for girls and boys. School is a base foundation for all the things that child will learn in their entire life, whether it is education, manners, confidence, ethics ,morals, good habits and any skills. Being in separate schools, girls and boys tend to be shy about the fact of talking to opposite gender. Although, it is very common and natural because they were not used to this surrounding from the childhood. Sometimes they don’t even get along with opposite gender in future for any purpose. At the end they become coward and not being able to express themselves in front of the opposite gender.
    I would like to highlight a short incident of my personal experience. I was in a girls schools for about 10-12 years. We had a proper girls schools where a staff, principal, teachers everybody was a girl, not even a single man except the watchman was available in our school. Years passed, I finished my school and ended up taking admission in co-ed college. I remember being so nervous and hesitant to even enter the college on the very first day. The surrounding was having the mixture of both girls and boy, which was making me very anxious and uncomfortable, and I thought I wouldn’t be able to survive here for even a single day. As the time passed, I managed to survive there, but the feeling of being uncomfortable stayed with me forever. I am saying forever because after that college I took a course where there were a lot of male members comparatively female members. It took a lot of effort and many crying nights to build up the stamina to stand there as a student. By sharing my journey, I just want to tell everybody that it was a consequence of the background that I had in my past which didn’t allow me to interact with opposite gender in a normal manner as it should be. That little change could have a different dimension to my journey. The entire experience of my college turned my self-esteem and confidence to the lowest. It took me four to six years to interact with opposite gender, but till now I get stumbled upon and don’t know how to find a way to start even simple conversation with them. I request everybody to choose same school for girls and boys because eventually they have to interact with opposite gender somewhere in their life. If they had a school which has a normal background with both the genders there will be a comfortable bond around, and it will be a normal thing for them to interact with each other. Separate school for girls and boys not only impact the personality negatively but also restricts there Ideas, skills and choices to make a way between both the genders and grow together, if they get along well. Make them educated in every manner. Normalize interacting with opposite sex.

shaifalikapoor03
    Participant
    @shaifalikapoor03
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

No, there should not be seprate schools for boys and girls. Seprate schools for boys and girls have no point in existence, putting children in co-ed schools that belong to both boys and girls can help in creating an equal society. People generally think that their children being in a co-ed school is a threat to their respect in the society, because it creates distraction among the students. But that’s not true. What’s true is that being in a co-ed school helps children, developing an ability to understand and learn about both the sexes, helps in creating mutual respect among both the genders, helps better at standing in front of people to speak out your views. Co-ed schools are a junction that better prepare girls and boys for their future jobs to perform together. They learn to work together which is what they would probably have to do for the rest of their lives. Studying with both male and female classmates helps you learn more about their different opinions and help you better deal with the society outside.
    Even boys in the co-ed schools learn better to respect women in future, stand equally amongst them and not superemize them with their gender

Shubhangini Shaktawat
    Participant
    @shaktawat9
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

Should there be separate schools for boys and girls?
    In my opinion, I do not feel that girls and boys need or require separate schools. I think having separate schools for both girls and boys can prove to be a step backwards in this journey towards acceptance of a non-discriminatory society towards gender. And, who even wants a demotion? Co-educational schools, I believe, are one of the only ways for girls and boys to safely socialize without being judged by the society, especially their families and relatives. That is how they are prepared for the future to come; with boys and girls all around in co-educational colleges, male colleagues for women and female colleagues for men in workspaces and various other events where co-ordination between men and women is required rather than a sense of discomfort or insecurity. Also, in co-educational schools, one learns to understand the situation and accept people of all sexualities. The scope of growth for one’s mentality is supposedly large. Also, I believe if the staff of such co-educational schools supports and treats both the genders equally rather than declaring boys superior to girls or girls more fragile and delicate as compared to boys, it is a great base for an upcoming leader and successful individual.
    All-girls and all-boys schools become sort of weapons for strict and narrow minded parents who want their daughters to stay completely oblivious of boys and their boys at a far distance from girls, to use against their children. These same boys are the ones who grow so curious to know more about girls that they end up forcing themselves on girls whenever they get a chance to, for solving their selfish purposes. In, fact, these girls are the ones who are super hesitant to talk to boys when it is needed and also end up feeling uncomfortable in the company of boys. We must not let somebody’s narrow mindedness and small thinking become the reason for another person’s life problems. It’s now time that we normalized girls and boys being friends and made them understand that no one is superior to the other. We are all equal and we deserve to understand each and every individual around us, no matter what gender or sexuality. The more girls and boys study together, play sport together, do activities like art, craft, pottery, debates on issues, writing, singing, dancing, etc. the more the sexualizing of tasks and activities and sports will decrease in the minds of young minds.
    A woman myself,
    Shubhangini Shaktawat

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.