Get Inspired, Be Empowered Forums Women & New Roles Men are better in sciences while women are better in the humanities.

13 replies, 14 voices Last updated by Foodie Fats 9 months, 1 week ago
  • Aditi Sahu
    Participant
    @aditi
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful
    ::

“Men are better in sciences while women are better in the humanities”. This is such a disgusting stereotype and it honestly makes me sick at this point. It has already been known that these gender based stereotypes play a huge role in influencing the people on what career path they choose. So it is very disheartening to see that such stereotypes are still being encouraged in our society.

Women are labelled as not smart enough for science while men are labelled as not in touch with their emotional side enough for the humanities. This mindset is just stupid and all it does is make people feel bad about themselves if they don’t fit these stereotypes. Our society needs to change it’s stance when it comes to any sort stereotypes, particularly the gender-based ones.

Afshan Iqbal
    Participant
    @afshan
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

Men are better in science and women are better in humanities? Definitely not! Whether it’s a man or a woman, choosing their desired subject is a right. People don’t choose their area of interest because of their gender. Although society wants them to choose it according to their gender, it all depends on the person. Of course, society will judge a girl if she chooses science and a boy if he chooses humanities because that’s not what it’s supposed to be. Isn’t it? Girls are weak and hence need weak subjects and boys are strong so they will tackle the difficulty of science as a subject! What a fool we are as a society. Humanities is neither tough nor easy and so is science. It all depends on a person’s interest in a particular subject. It’s a predominant culture that a boy has to take science and become an engineer or doctor or scientist and girls, oh they are supposed to take humanities/arts because who cares? All girls have to do is get married and do household chores and their education is just for the sake of a degree. Enough of this stereotyping!!!! I have been a science student till class 10th and then I took up humanities because it was my choice. MY CHOICE!! Nobody told me to take up humanities because science is too tough for me or I didn’t score well in science. I had no interest in science and then I realized that my interest lies in the field of humanities. Now if you say you’re a girl nobody will judge you for taking humanities so let me tell you that my brother who has been a science student throughout school life took humanities in his degree course because he realized that his potential lies in humanities and it has nothing to do with marks. So, it all depends on YOU! Please never think you are less or better in anything because of your gender. Take up whatever you want. Live your dreams. People will judge you but who cares?

Neha Pawar
    Participant
    @neha_1
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

i dont think that men are better than women in science.we have so many example of successful women in science.like sunita williams, marie curie etc.

The claim that men are better in sciences while women are better in the humanities is a stereotypical generalization that perpetuates gender bias and inequality. It is important to recognize that intelligence and aptitude are not determined by gender, but rather by an individual’s unique abilities, interests, and opportunities.

Historically, women have faced numerous barriers to pursuing careers in the sciences, including societal expectations, limited access to education and resources, and gender bias within academic and professional settings. However, it is crucial to note that these barriers are not indicative of inherent gender-based differences in abilities. In fact, when given equal opportunities, women have excelled in various scientific fields, disproving the notion that men are inherently better.

Similarly, suggesting that women are better in the humanities also oversimplifies a complex reality. While it is true that some women have made significant contributions to fields like literature, philosophy, and social sciences, it is important to recognize that both men and women have made valuable contributions across all academic disciplines. The diversity of perspectives, experiences, and approaches brought by individuals of all genders enriches the intellectual landscape and fosters innovation.

It is crucial to challenge and overcome gender stereotypes in order to create a more inclusive and equitable society. By recognizing and valuing the diverse talents and abilities of individuals, regardless of their gender, we can foster an environment that encourages everyone to pursue their passions and excel in their chosen fields. Let us move beyond limiting stereotypes and embrace the potential of every individual, irrespective of their gender, in both the sciences and the humanities.

Foodie Fats
    Participant
    @foodie
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

The statement you’ve made is a common stereotype, but it is important to note that it is not supported by scientific evidence. Gender does not determine one’s aptitude or ability in any particular field, including sciences and humanities.

Historically, there have been societal and cultural factors that limited women’s access to education and professional opportunities, which may have contributed to gender imbalances in certain fields. However, these imbalances are not due to innate differences in ability, but rather the result of social and cultural factors.

It is crucial to recognize that both men and women are capable of excelling in any field they choose based on their individual skills, interests, and opportunities. Stereotypes can perpetuate biases and limit opportunities for individuals based on their gender. It is important to foster inclusive and diverse environments where everyone has an equal chance to pursue their passions and contribute to various disciplines.

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.