Get Inspired, Be Empowered Forums Gender-based Violence 1 in 3 women experience physical or sexual violence

Tagged
12 replies, 13 voices Last updated by Aditi Sahu 2 years ago
  • Darshini Suresh
    Participant
    @darshinisuresh

Violence against women and girls is among the most universal and most traumatizing human right violations in the world. From all of these, half of them is not even reported due to impunity, shame and gender equality. The WHO recently highlighted that A third of all women and girls get physically abused or sexually harassed at least once in their lifetime, half of these women are killed by people who are either their partners or one of their family members.
    The generality of the issue “means someone around you”. It can be anyone, a family member, a co- worker or even a friend. The problem of sexual violence has been rooting since ages now because of male domination. Did you know that women who experience physical abuse are more likely to have an abortion and HIV,and this experience nearly doubles their likelihood of falling into depression. According to the WHO , when they compiled all the data collected from over 158 countries , they found that sexual violence is mostly caused between the age of 15 – 35 age group. This disproportionately affects women from middle class and lower-middle class with countries showing a prevalence of about half of all women.
    I strongly state that violence of all forms on a woman’s life can affect her mentally and her health and well being throughout the rest of her life even long after the violence has actually ended. Those memories haunt for lifetime. Increased risk of injuries, unplanned pregnancies, sexually- transmitted infections including HIV are all associated with sexual violence.
    I feel preventing Violence requires implementation of structured economic and social inequalities. Every school, I repeat every school mainly in India should have a subject named “sex education” all genders must be taunt the importance of it . I feel if a boy since childhood itself is taught how to behave with a woman, the sexual violence rate would actually come down. Every girl should peruse some training like Jiu jitsu got self protection. We live in a Democratic World but sadly a women still doesn’t feel safe inside her own house. All this will change only if we are willing to make a change in the society, by actually implementing practically other than just talking and cribbing about the cause.

Manpreet Singh
    Participant
    @manpreet
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful
    ::

According to a report published by WHO in the year 2020, lockdowns and related restrictions on movement have led to a surge in violence against women and girls around the world, as many are now trapped at home with their abusers. This does not negate the fact that how widely the violence was prevalent even prior to the pandemic. Violence committed by their partners in a relationship in the form of domestic violence is the most prevalent form and it starts early. Nearly 1 in 3 girls and women who are in a relationship have already experienced violence in one form or another, be it physical and/or sexual violence by age 19, the report found.
    Globally too, nearly 6% of women have reported being sexually assaulted by someone other than a husband or partner. The real figure could likely be higher, as sexual abuse is very stigmatized and as a result, it is under-reported, according to the analysis. While the problem of violence against women is pervasive globally, it is not distributed equally. Many factors such as social and economic have turned out to be a leading risk factor. Most affected women are present in low and lower-middle-income regions are disproportionately affected, the report found. For example, in rural Bihar and UP, 51% of women will experience violence from a domestic partner in their lifetime, compared with 25% of women in Urban cities.
    The report calls for some serious interventions by our government by reforming laws and making them stronger. The discrimination against women’s education, employment, and legal rights should be a prime focus of the administration. Improvement in women’s access to health care, including post-rape care also needs to be more streamlined.

nehachitroda
    Participant
    @nehachitroda
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

One in three women experiences physical or sexual assault, maybe from a partner or someone intimate to them. Violence against women has become so common that after happening of these things, they are still said to be quiet because it is common and you have to bear it, so there is the myth and reality too.
    When we talk about the physical experience at least once in life, yes it happens in most cases, and commonly within our own surrounding or the ones who are known to us, there are many cases of sexual assault, rapes within a family, or relative. It can be in any form like touch which is not good touch and it continues till an unknown person getting physical, and it makes women feel insecure and not safe and it becomes hard for a woman to trust anyone around.
    Women who face physical or sexual abuse are likely to get depression, face injuries, pregnancy complications, according to WHO report. Women experience physically in forms of rapes, intimate partner violence like marital rape, child sex abuse, human trafficking, etc. 36.5% of women in the world experience sexual or physical violence. Due to these issues related to women, they also suffer health problems, they get mentally or emotionally weak. These things happen each day but the reports of these are very less and it not actually brought and it brings an increase of issues and challenges for women to suffer.

PALAK KASHIV
    Participant
    @palak
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

Yes one in three women experience physical violence it is also confirmed by the WHO report, no matter how many laws form people will keep sexually harassing the women because they won’t fear from the government, and it has become normal for some women they are raped every other day and they are helpless because there have been also the cases where women are raped molested by police and doctors there is no safe place for women and this happens with small girls also they are so innocent they even don’t know what is happening with them. Even when we’re in lockdown girls and women who were assaulted by the family members and still women were suffering in that situation. Women should learn to defend themselves and please open up with parents about violence happening, kids should be taught about good touch and bad touch in schools, women should report to the police immediately or get help from the social organization, this violence causes anxiety, depression and traumatic behavior for a long period of time, women get much time to recover from this. for 2 minutes of pleasure you are destroying girls full life. There are more cases than we see in news and media, also we can see the hype in media for some time and after some time everything becomes normal, if any girls come forward to speak about her physical experience people should support her make her feel secure this will encourage her and also inspire. India needs stricter punishments for rapists and strict security for girls, we have to create a safe environment for females. Every girl fears traveling alone. Talk to strangers who have not taken birth to get rape. Our government needs to take action quickly.

Gayatri Somvanshi
    Participant
    @gayatri
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

Lets not forget that we live in a country where the least of a girl getting raped is merely 7 year old. There is a very obvious acceptance from every woman to this question. Honestly, not only 1 in 3 women but I would say that 2 out of the three women have been abused physically, sexually and mentally in this world.
    Saddest and cruellest part is the majority of rapes are done by someone from our own family , friends or you can say people whom we trust and are close to. From some blood related people, acquainted uncle to driver , domestic helpers to strangers on the street no one has left to exploit women. From city buses, crowded local trains and streets to empty roads and our own homes there is no secure place for girls.
    Personally speaking from my experience the very chance of getting abused is from childhood. Yes you read right. I was lucky that I wasn’t raped but those memories still resurface and often cause me mental issues. There was a time when I literally started avoiding certain places because I felt I am dirty and fear that if I go to this place and we meet he will get a chance to abuse me and what if this time I can’t save myself? I was so depressed that I often would shut myself. I was rejecting my body and hated myself for being weak. I felt disgusted whenever someone complimented my body.My view of men started to be negative.
    Though at this point even if I am positive I am still uncomfortable to male touch especially if that person is my family. As I said, abuse starts from childhood . I got my periods early and my body changes started to show up and at this age I was a naive child and couldn’t understand what was happening. We get confused between love and lust and thus in this age we are most likely to be taken advantage of.
    The most important thing I would like to highlight is that the abuser has no gender. My very first sexual abuser was a woman when I was 5 years old. Even though it was merely touching my parts, it was uncomfortable . So beware of some things.
    Not to mention that how in majority cases of domestic violence women are culprits. We see how women tear woman apart in some situations.
    The other source and most popular and easy source where I and many girls became victims is cyber bullying. After these experiences I wasn’t really comfortable and was afraid to meet boys so online dating was convenient for me but I had a very bad experience and it was very triggering. So I would urge all women and especially teenage girls to be vary of these things because there are manipulative monsters out there to harass your children, pretense of love.
    In conclusion If we consider physical abuse I would say that every woman experiences being stared at inappropriately , groped, eve teased,raped , acid attacks and so on.
    But the key to solve this matter is giving our children a proper sex education. According to famous instagram blogger and sexuality educator Dr. Swati Jagdish
    If we give basic and right knowledge to our children it will only help them and prevent them from getting abused. If we use correct words then it will help children to be able to describe the situation more accurately. Let’s also watch what you are watching and doing and saying in front of your children and as we know curiosity kills the cat so watch your actions. These small things and normalising sex education and talks will help us to keep us and our children safe.

VIPASHA .
    Participant
    @vipasha
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

In early period every women has to face physical violence once in her life . Then whether it is in her paternal house on maternal house . Man has a mentality that they have a right on women and they can use her according to their will and needs. People treat women like a slave and suppose her to do work 24 × 7 without any rest and care . In modern era there are many women who are facing these challenges physical violence, domestic violence , which are still common .
    Violence can be in any state whether it be a physical or mental and both are very harmful for a woman which is it can affect every woman very badly and deeply the physical injuries fill up but the mental and emotional can’t.
    Violence occurs in about 35 per cent of women globally in their lifetime. According to a study done in India , on about 10000 woman, 26 per cent reported having experienced physical violence. According to latest report by National Crime Records Bureau – in every 3 minutes, a case of physical violence on women is reported . In every one hour, 6 woman is sexually assaulted . In every one of young married woman is beaten to death . This is the reality of MORDEN PEOPLE AND DEVELOP COUNTRY .
    Many time due to this violence a women suffer a lot of problems like :-
    1 -Anxiety
    2- Depression
    3- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
    4- Increased Risk of Cardiovascular Disease
    5- Premature mortality
    And the last option for her is
    6- Suicide
    Every woman has two faces difficult condition in her life . We all should be aware and notice is there any women in our surrounding , who suffering from all these thing . If yes , then we need to take the help of the right that are made for the protection of women and just aware that women about her right and help her to come out of all this drastic situation.

DISHA SAPKALE
    Participant
    @42disha
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

In today’s generation also 1 in 3 women experience physical violence because of which it create from other problems for here. Many of the women go through violence because of not listening to husband, marriage, dowry, etc. Why? Women are suffering from this there is no right for anybody to do physical violence with women. Violence against are increasing day by day because of not taking strict action against it. In villages women suffer from violence and their is no one to listen their problems. They tolerate the physical violence because not aware of rights and not knowing how to do self-defense. Women should get more awareness about their rights because for such people who does violence with women they should get strict punishment. By seeing them people who does that will get scared atleast some of them get scared and stop doing physical violence against women. Women will see how they are getting punished and will learn more their rights so they can fight back for their justice. Government should made strict rules or punishment for such people. There should be more organization and campaign who will make awareness for women rights and also there should organization and campaign for self defense so that women should get to learn atleast basic to defend herself. During travelling also women’s don’t feel safe because they are scared of getting raped by seeing the rape cases and not getting justice and they mostly scared at night times because there is no security for women in bus or train, etc. There should be security for women in public transports. Because of tolerating physical violence many women suffer from mental stress, depression, and many health problems. For this their should be health care organization for women who can understand them and can solve their problems by giving them proper treatment.

anshika agarwal
    Participant
    @anshika-2
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

Violence again women is continuously going on. It is occuring in every country and culture and casuing harm to millions of women.
    According to WHO report, in the world 1 in 3 women have experienced physical at least once in their lives. That number has also remained unchanged over the past decades.
    In this covid pandemic, women have suffered a lot. Lockdowns have raised the violence against women and girls around the world as their men are home all the time and whenever they are angry on anything they take out their anger on women. Intimate partner violence is the most prevalent form of violence against women. Globally around 6% of women reported being sexually assaulted and physical by someone. Although the real figure is likely higher because sexual abuse is still under reported. We can only fight with it through deep-rooted and sustained efforts by governments, communities and individuals.
    It is quite disturbing that this continuous violence by men against women is unchanged which is affecting young women aged 15-24 who are young mothers. Every government should be taking strong and proactive steps to address this.
    This violence against women should be stop as soon as possible. It is also affecting their mental health which leads to depression in them and even suicide sometimes.

Yash Tiwari
    Participant
    @yash
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

At least three out of four perpetrators in these cases were men, most often a current or former husband or boyfriend, according to the study. Women are more likely than men to experience multiple forms of sexual violence throughout their lifetime and as adults, they experienced four times the amount of non-partner sexual and physical violence compared with men. The prevalence of intimate partner violence is highest in South Asia, with almost 1 in 4 women being subjected to emotional or physical violence from a partner. In the region, the lifetime rate of physical and/or sexual violence perpetrated by a partner in Bangladesh (72 percent), India (74 percent), and the Philippines (67 percent) is near twice the global average of 35 percent.

Even more alarming is the fact that violence against women that starts so young continues for longer. The number of girls who experience sexual violence before they turn 18 is almost as high as the number of women who experience physical or sexual violence by an intimate partner: 1.5 million girls under 18 are subjected to sexual violence every year, nearly twice as many as a decades ago. The report aims to highlight the huge health burden that violence against women continues to have on individuals and societies as a whole. This will allow health authorities, institutions, and individuals to estimate more accurately the impacts on lost productivity, increased healthcare spending, and patients who are managing chronic conditions associated with violence, which tend to be underreported and not always fully understood.

Around one in three women in the world will, at some point in their lives, experience either physical or sexual violence or both. At the same time, it is also a major barrier to achieving gender equality. All forms of violence against women are conductive to gender inequality and discriminatory practices such as early marriage and female genital mutilation. The impact of rape is immense, causing death (10% of women globally report having been killed following a sexual assault), disability, and permanent physical damage to reproductive and other organs.

Violence against women and girls is preventable but requires concerted and coordinated efforts by the individuals, communities, and the state to address unequal power relations and other structural factors that perpetuate violence. Protecting women’s rights is a critical step in reducing violent crime, and this is not just about legal reform. Most acts of violence against women are committed by someone known to the victim – a partner or other family member – and studies show that abusive behavior is usually learned through socialization in the home.

Semantee Chattopadhyay
    Participant
    @semantee03
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

One in three women experiences violence at the hands of their husband or partner. That’s over 800 million women worldwide. 30 women feel trapped afraid and restricted. Those who consider leaving often lose their money or children. The violence can leave to injuries as well as serious physical and mental health problems, in some cases even death. Unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections are also a side effect of this violence. These women generally have a greater risk of miscarriage, premature or low birth weight child. They generally experience depression, anxiety and other mental health problems. They may also become addicted to drugs or alcohol. They don’t know whom to trust or where to trust. They lose faith in the world.
    It’s a tour to women to take necessary measures so that she doesn’t get raped. And, if the crime of rape has been committed, then you as a woman were careless. This is the reason women do not report rape or physical assault. When this genius crime gets committed the blame is pushed to the victim and they are asked questions like, “what were you wearing?”, “What did you do to make his blood boil?”, “What were you doing there?”, “Why are you out late at night?” The victims are not only afraid of their rapists but also their community. A lot of women who face physical violence in rural areas do not have the money to pursue them in court. There are some cases where the criminal is asked to marry the victim and this is considered the better end of the deal. Society creates a mindset that if you have been physically assaulted or raped then no one will marry you. This veil of silence and torture women are brought up under has left a lot of room for many other evil practices to flourish.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.