Get Inspired, Be Empowered Forums Access to Healthcare Maternal Health A woman has the sole decision in requesting an abortion.

15 replies, 16 voices Last updated by Samriti Sharma 2 years, 1 month ago
  • PALAK KASHIV
    Participant
    @palak
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful
    ::

Abortion is considered a very serious thing in our Indian society; some people have this notion believe having a baby is a blessing from the god and if women decide they want to abort the baby they think they are making mistakes people are very touchy when it comes to having a baby. Women can make the decision of aborting a child but they should not be blamed for doing that we need to sometimes respect their choice and decision; it is human behavior before any decision women will talk about this her partner if they are sharing a healthy relationship. The reason behind it is that women are not ready for taking responsibility or she is more focused on her career goals and builds their life, marriage is not done to have a child it is a decision of couples they want to have it or not. So, take abortion lightly because you are putting pressure on women by saying her no, she will never be able to nurture the child or she will curse you for a lifetime it can also create complications in relationship. And it is women’s sole decision and no family involvement is needed to decide what to do with a baby we should encourage women for choosing what they wanted standing against injustice. Also going through this woman faces the tough time that man will never understand that pain. Also, it is wrong to force women to have abortion maybe she wants a child and expecting it is also wrong. Live it on women if she wants to have a baby or not. We need such laws that allows women to make decision regarding abortion and protection by providing best abortion service to her. Also, women should consult with their doctor to take their view and ensure safe treatment of abortion that is very important.

DISHA SAPKALE
    Participant
    @42disha
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

Women has the rights to make her own decisions with her body. Nobody has right to forcefully put the decisions on her. Women has the right to decide that they want the baby or not. In our society, where women’s decision is not consider instead everyone will start judging with her decision of abortion. If women says that she wants abortion than people will start blaming her and put thoughts in their mind like they are doing huge mistake. It is not esay for women to take decision of abortion but what if she is not ready to take responsibility because having baby comes with lots of responsibility. Women has to make sole decision for abortion because she has career goals and dreams towards her life. People should start excepting women’s decisions towards abortion instead of blaming her or saying no, this will affect both baby and mother because she is not prepare to nurse baby. Before any decision women obviously discuss with her partner but family should not put their decision on her rather than let them decide and respect their decision. And if women wants the child in that matter also nobody should force her for abortion. And there are women who fighting against wrong, if someone is forcing for abortion. We should support and encourage women who are saving small life inside her. Society need to understand the decision of abortion is totally on women because she is the one who will suffer from abortion, the pain and the decision is going to hard for her. In that we can only do one thing which is supporting her decision. Women should get the rights to make sole decision for herself. Their should be awareness about reproductive health education for women for such unsafe abortions. Women should must consult their doctor to have safe treatment for abortion. The sole decision to have baby or not should be given to only women without forcing her with other family members decisions.

Afshan Iqbal
    Participant
    @afshan
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

A woman has the sole decision in requesting an abortion. Definitely! Women have the right to choose whatever they think is best for them. It is a woman’s right to choose whatever she wants. Being able to make her own decisions about her health, body and sexual life is the right of every woman. The right to abortion is vital for gender equality. the right to abortion is vital for individual women to achieve their full potential. Forcing a woman to not abort puts women at a risk for mental health illness and many other health complications. Nobody should tell a woman to do what they think is best for her. It’s a woman’s choice whether or when to have a child or not. A woman is denied a life-saving termination because abortion is illegal in her country or stereotyped by society. It’s all about a woman’s right to choose. The right to abortion should be part of a portfolio of pregnancy rights that enables women to make a truly free choice of whether to end a pregnancy. The fetus exists inside a woman’s body and it is a woman’s right to decide whether the fetus remains in her body or not. Women need the right to abortion in order to have the same freedoms as men. We all should protect and promote freedom of choice. Let the woman decide what she wants to do with her body.

There is a quote:
    “You’re not really mad that I’m not having children.
    In fact, I would probably love to one day.
    You’re mad that I’m expressing autonomy of choice.
    You’re mad that I’m considering other options.
    You’re mad that I don’t view that as my ultimate potential.
    You’re mad that I dare be selfish enough to make choices based on my best interest, something women are not supposed to do.
    You’re mad that I consider it a choice, and that I, a woman, am exercising choice.
    You’re not mad that I’m not having babies.
    You’re mad because I’m acting like a man.”
    ― Alice Minium

Aditi Sahu
    Participant
    @aditi
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

Does a woman have the sole decision in requesting an abortion? Absolutely yes! It is after all the woman’s body who is going to go through every procedure during pregnancy and labour, hence it should obviously be women who should be able to decide whether they want to terminate their pregnancy or not as long as they have a valid reason. And the valid reason can range from anything between financial instability to mentally not ready to have a child.

In the recent years a lot of countries have tried to make safe abortion accessible to women and that is definitely a step towards development. But there are many countries who have still not legalised abortion or have done so under very specific conditions. The only thing such countries are doing is making women choose an unsafe way to terminate an unwanted pregnancy. Every government needs to make sure that it should be a woman’s decision to request an abortion, neither the state nor the partner/husband.

038 deepika Singh
    Participant
    @038-deepika
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

I firmly believe that a woman should be capable enough of taking decisions relating to her body, whether it is related to having a child or aborting it. But so is not the case in our country. Women are not allowed to have abortion any time they pleases. Our government have the rights to interfere in a intimate matter of what a women wants to do with her foetus. According to the Indian Penal Code the offence falls under ‘Offences Affecting the Human Body’, and provides that causing a miscarriage with or without consent for a purpose other than saving the life of the woman is punishable. But I believe that the decision of giving birth to a child or not should be left in the hands of the person whose body is ultimately going to carry the risk. However, there should be some exceptions like if the baby or the mother faces some threat due to the pregnancy.

Being pregnant is a big deal, and intervention of a third person who absolutely have no contribution in it is completely baseless. If the male contributor of the pregnancy has good relationship with the woman, then should absolutely hear him out but the ultimate decision of giving birth should lie in the hands of the woman.

Samriti Sharma
    Participant
    @samriti
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

I completely agree with the statement mentioned above , yes the women has the sole decision in requesting an abortion.
    The term abortion literally means the procedure to end pregnancy. Every women across the world has her own reasons to take this decision on her own as the same is a part of the human rights Which are available to everyone by the very virtue of his/her being a human. Throughout human history the concept of abortion has been controversial and evolving and since ages has been connected to the societal norms and culture. It becomes important to acknowledge here that women has the right to Life, to Liberty, she also had been given the right to her reproductive and sexual health. The right to abortion has been recognised both at national and international level by various laws. If we looked at from the Indian perspective there are la s which permits abortion in certain exceptional situations which include it there is a danger to the life of the pregnant women or any grave injury to her mental or physical health. It wasn’t so always as it was considered illegal or was permitted by the permission of her husband, guardian or legal representative not considering her in the list but now with the advancement of technology and the modern times the right of a woman in regard to her property has been recognised actively which entrusted her with the right to decide for abortion.
    The supreme court had also stated that privacy is implicit in article 21 which includes right to abortion within it’s purview.

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.