Get Inspired, Be Empowered Forums General Discussions Why #metoo movement failed to create an impact in India?

8 replies, 8 voices Last updated by Afshan Iqbal 2 years, 1 month ago
  • Woospire
    Keymaster
    @admin
    Semantee Chattopadhyay
    Participant
    @semantee03
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful
    ::

In October 2017, the hashtag “me too” spread wide across the world. The beginning of the movement was a Hollywood sexual assault scandal that sparked a public reckoning around the world. Thousands of women were using the two words, “me too” on social media to identify themselves as survivors of sexual harassment and assault. While in the other part of the world new laws had been passed and powerful men were forced to step down, it didn’t make such a huge impact in India. Me too movement in India started when actress Tanushree Dutta accused actor Nana Patekar of sexual harassment while shooting for a film 10 years ago. Its failure had several reasons. Firstly, the accusations were made on Twitter and were not verified. People questioned why did she accuse him after a decade. There were no witnesses or shreds of evidence to prove the accusations. Everyone just kept talking about the accusations and no step was taken to enforce or strengthen the laws. Tomato movement lat decision-makers. The accused of criticised and scrutinized by the common people and the angle was not properly channelized.
    Me too movement did ignite wider debates. It questions the legal systems to deliver justice. It questions the behaviour of men around women and vice versa. Decoration for gender equality also arises. Me too movement in the West had prompted some companies to introduce new measures to deal with sexual harassment. It also provoked a huge backlash. We do not know if all the cases were true and some men due to this faced social media lynching. Some even had their careers finished. Me too movement gave power solely to the women. Me too was a great opportunity to get rid of behaviour that was not required but it also had its negative consequences.

Manpreet Singh
    Participant
    @manpreet
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

In October 2018, Indian mainstream public conversation was penetrated by the global #MeToo movement against sexual abuse and harassment by powerful men within society. Some women reported on social media and other venues with complaints and stories of harassment. Although several notable figures have been charged, the case against the former junior minister of foreign affairs, Mr. Akbar may have been the most highly profiled. The former editor was accused by journalist Priya Ramani of asking her to his hotel room for an interview and of conducting inadequately. at the end of a 41-page defamation case, she met. Two years later, she was acquitted of all charges by a Delhi court. The court stated that “the right of reputation cannot be safeguarded at the cost of dignity, taking into of the obstacles that women encounter in bringing complaints against harassment.” It was celebrated by women around the country as a hallmark judgment. “This illustrates that women can resist pushbacks… That our realities are not so easy to shut down and suppress, “DW told Ramani.
    These grumbled last year in which hundreds of survivors of alleged sexual assault and maladministration broke their silence gave place to a strong movement. They have taken names and social media. The skeletons were tumbling away from politicians, comedians, actors and filmmakers, journalists, advertisements professionals, award-winning writers, and artists. Then came a flood of powerful figures such as actor Alok Nath, whom film director Vinta Nanda has accused of rape. Several additional wives, such as actors Sandhya Mridul, Navneet Nishan and Amyra Dastur, and singer Sona Mohapatra, have accused him of abuse as well. For those who spoke, things have not been as smooth. Nath initiated a defamation proceeding against her less than a week after Nanda had raised his charges. In a case of defamation recently, too, Subodh Gupta ordered the Delhi High Court of Justice to uncover the identity of the administrator Scene and Herd, Instagram’s parent firm, Facebook. It was also told Facebook and Google to reject Gupta’s content. For many, a #MeToo problem is that it ends the fury of social media when the objective should change an attitude and a harassing culture. Aparna Jain, a speaker and leadership coach who leads workshops in the field of diversity and inclusivity, says the guys who have frequently taken part have no clue of their behavior.” For ages, women have been conditioned not to repel and accept what males do. And it was taught to men that all was theirs,” she continues. “It’s supposed to be ‘Beton Ko Samjhao’ instead of ‘Beti Bachao (Save your daughters)’.” ”

Yash Tiwari
    Participant
    @yash
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

The #metoo movement started in 2017, in October. The first case that led to the rise of the movement was the sexual harassment allegations against Harvey Weinstein in October 2017. But #metoo in India was not only hashtagged “me too” but also with a few other things, like #balancetonporc, which translates to ‘Expose the pig’. It is an anti-sexual harassment initiative that encourages women to name and shame the perpetrators of sexual harassment by posting screenshots of sexual comments received as a reply to their statuses or photos. Many see it as a move towards cleansing society of its toxic masculinity.

The movement, sparked by allegations of sexual abuse directed at Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein by numerous women, spread quickly. It gave women who had never spoken out about the abuse and men that perpetuated it a platform to speak out. The questions that this movement raises are not about how many women experienced sexual harassment or assault, but why it is so common for women to experience it. India was the last major country where #metoo was not yet big. Sexual harassment and assault is a global issue and it affected people irrespective of their class and religion. Everyone had to admit that the scale of violence against women was huge, but there was no way to count the number of people who suffered from it in silence or to recognize survivors in a crowd.

The #MeToo movement in India has failed to generate the same kind of impact that it did in western countries. It is a very disturbing situation emerging in the Indian part of the Twitterverse. The failure of #MeToo in India has been blamed on patriarchy and misogyny, but I am not buying it. I am going to explain why I believe this movement failed miserably in India and what we should do about it. But it failed to create any impact in India. Men who did their big sexual assaults were not seen in the media. Those famous women who started the MeToo movement were too sophisticated to talk about their sexual assault experiences in India. Metoo Movement is a sort of feminist movement that encourages women all over the world to speak out and in particular, to share their stories of sexual harassment. Me too Movement aims at empowering women to express their sexual harassment in the fight for justice.

For the first time in #MeToo history, India finally received coverage when it happened. But there were hardly any major repercussions in any of the cases that came out on social media. A few people were fired from their jobs and all the rest of the people who were called out have gone on to a normal life. #MeToo Movement was a watershed moment for women. It was an opportunity for them to speak out against men who had sexually harassed them at work. It was a catharsis. After years of fear and silence, women finally dared to name their perpetrators and in the process, gave others the courage to stand up and say #Metoo as well.

PALAK KASHIV
    Participant
    @palak
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

Me too movement was sexual harassment against the people and sexual abuse on women. Women for the first time had come not in big number but our country is still male dominated society so it fails. We weren’t able to see that level of effect or change in people’s behavior but it is one of the famous movements in India. There were various reasons behind the failure of this movement. one reason was that people were some women are putting false accusations on males and also why women need to make careers important and they also give the wrong indication to boys and provoke them to do this with them, create terror in Twitter and Facebook saying women are following the west in this movement, adopting western culture. Because me too movement was at the global level. Women if care so much cares about their dignity then they should not behave properly in society, some males have ego issues they will never accept mistakes or support women in the western country many males also supported women in this movement and motivate them but in case of our country, there was no support from males also from the political parties no big person took the stand and showed daring to come forward. Because of the failure of this movement, we are still struggling with sexual violence whereas in other countries we have seen the change.

DISHA SAPKALE
    Participant
    @42disha
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

Me too movement means it is a movement against sexual assault and sexual harassment where people used to put allegations publicly of physical crimes. Me too movement was spread in October 2017 on social media using Hashtag of me to movement. Sexual harassment and sexual assault mostly happens at workplace. Their are some of the celebrities who shared publicly their me to stories includes Tanushree Datta, Jasmin Bhasin, Tina Datta, Priyanka Bose, Dianda Soares and many more. Four years back, many people are not aware about social media platforms and people don’t know how social media will help to put impact on certain things this is the one of the reasons that failed the impact on me to movement. Their are women who don’t speak about sexual harassment and sexual assault due to family because they think speaking about this things openly will affect their image in society. Awareness is also the reason due to which it not create such impact on me to movement because their are women who don’t get to know about this movement correctly. To improve the safety and security for women their should be more movement that should not get failure like me to movement because of failed movement there is increasing in sexual harassment and sexual assault and they should be make sure that movement must create the impact on society for women better living.

038 deepika Singh
    Participant
    @038-deepika
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

The #Metoo movement started in India when actor Tanushree Dutta renewed her allegation of sexual harassment against veteran actor Nana Patekar. The former Miss. Universe contestant blamed him for sexually harassing her on a movie set in 2008. This movement caused a domino effect encouraging and inspiring many women to speak up about their own experiences. Many female journalists also came out to describe inappropriate behaviour by Male reporters and editors. But then why did the movement fail?

1. The accusation against men were made on Twitter without taking any legal actions resulting the movement to be a mere trend which got expired overtime.
    2. The accusations were made without any proof and the victim was always under the burden of proof failing to which the whole idea of the movement failed.
    3. Many women used it as a tool of revenge, reporting fake allegations against men, resulting in the credibility of women being questioned, that came forward to tell their real stories.
    4. Questions like – ‘why now?’ , ‘Why not when you were harassed?’ were thrown upon, further weakening their case.
    5. In order to make a movement work, it needs a leader. A leader to assist the movement. While the #metoo movement was all about a crowd of women crying out their stories without no one actually taking any bigger steps forward.
    6. No efforts were made by our government to address the #metoo movement and any movement often tends to fail without having any political support.

Many women in India face sexual harassment in their day to day life but only a fraction of them rises up to actually report and speak about it because of the powerful patriarchal structures of our society. A movement fails in India without even getting started and there are a lot of factors associated with it. While the #metoo movement came and went as a storm in India it still resulted in providing justice to some sexually harassed women and but also ruined the reputation of many innocent men.

Shreya Shukla
    Participant
    @shreya
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

#metoo movement was a worldwide drift which was started by Hollywood actress against sexual harassment which is faced by women during casting or in the name of giving a film. She wanted to spread a strong message that women should not be treated as lifeless creatures just because she feels ashamed of whatever has happened to them and this is due to the wrong notion of society that women are responsible for whatever happens to her. It came to India with a loud thud but after some time it was all over and left in-jokes. This movement could have been a favourable one for women who have faced such harsh situations but unfortunately, it didn’t.
    This movement in India was started by Tanushree Dutta, a Bollywood actress. She had put allegations against Nana Patekar on Twitter. As there were no clues against him, the blame didn’t last long. Many more actresses came out with their bad experiences and many more joined the movement. Many men were accused because of this #metoo allegation against them out of which some were innocent like Sushant Singh Rajput. He was accused of harassing Sanjana Sanghi his ‘Dil Bechara ‘co-star.
    This gave rise to the voice against this movement and people started supporting men and gender equality became an issue. Women started using this # for some revenge which is intolerable. Misuse of power is our birthright. I don’t want to offend anyone but this is the reality. People always misuse their powers. Some women use their rights against men just to frame them and take their revenge.
    This is not right but it happens not only in India but everywhere. Everyone has to understand that their actions matter and should be taken wisely without ill- intentions.

Afshan Iqbal
    Participant
    @afshan
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

In October 2018, the Me Too movement against sexual abuse and harassment perpetrated by powerful men in society reached India. A number of women came out with allegations of harassment on social media and other platforms. Me too movement in India was started by Tanushree Dutta who accused Nana Patekar of sexual misconduct in a professional work area. The Internet has become a powerful media and many women via this #Metoo campaign have raised their voice against harassment. It made a big impact on women across the country and women who were harassed came out in numbers and raised their voices.
    Although this movement gained a lot of attention it still failed in India because of the number of flaws in it.
    1. It became a movement that didn’t solve any problem. Only voices were raised and nothing much was done to solve this problem of harassment for women across the country. It merely became a social media movement and didn’t reach the grounds.
    2. During the Me too movement fake cases were also noticed. This brought a question mark on the credibility of a woman who was harassed. It gave the idea that all men are rapists and all women are innocent, which is completely false.
    3. It was also questioned why those women didn’t file a police complaint and were only raising their voices on social media when instead they should have filed complaints at the time it happened.
    4. Accusations were made without any witnesses or other pieces of evidence to prove their accusations.
    5. Media got TRP for some time and they couldn’t get justified answers for viewers. So gradually they diverted their attention to some other points.
    6. Due to the fake accusers, the real ones couldn’t get justice.
    7. It wasn’t completely fake but some people made it fake and meaningless.
    It failed in India because it took a negative turn and through this movement, we learned a message that women need to be strong enough to stand for themselves. They need to speak up right away.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.